Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wednesday 17, 2010

This is probably the hardest time of the track season.  We are well into the year and there have not been any track meets yet to measure progress and the legs are a little dead from constant workouts.  Luckily the weather has been abnormally warm this year.  It is especially hard to motivate one's self if it is cold and rainy with some wind.

Our first meet is this Saturday in Oroville.  It will give us a chance to see what our baseline fitness is and how we will improve as the weeks pass by.  I am looking forward to it and I hope all the students are too.

Monday we had a tough interval workout.  The milers/2 milers did 6 400s at race pace.  The 800 runners did 6 300s at race pace and the 400 runners did 200s at race pace.  The sprinters worked on block starts.  This is one of the most difficult workouts we do so I am proud of all the kids for hanging in there even though we are still improving our fitness and strength.  This type of workout will pay big dividends down the road.

Tuesday the distance runners did the "long" loop (about 3 miles) at an easy pace.  I have been told I need to stop calling this an "easy" run because it is not really that easy (some nice hills in the last mile).  Afterward everyone was able to work on field events for awhile.  We even got the hurdles and high jump out for the first time!!

Today will be another tough practice.  We will do 10 intervals of between 100-150 yards.  Each will be done at close to a full sprint.  Got to get used to those legs working at full speed!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck to Mason for their first track meet. I hope the kids do their best.

    ReplyDelete